Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Marginal Consumption

Looking at the very low grade that I received on my micro homework dictates that I must spend more time on this subject (Honestly, I didn’t revise my homework because last week I moved on campus and began working. Even though this was a valid excuse in order to ace this midterm, there is not room for excuses!) And, speaking of this midterm, the professor said that there were 30 multiple choice questions but he implemented a curve because the average student only answered in between 16-18 correctly. My personal goal is to answer 21 correctly because at least that is a C.

He also lectured about the differences between men and married women valuing work which was okay until he made this absurd assumption that for the past 30 years society had told women that work was more important than children which was a load of crap he remarked; then later recanted by including men should value child rearing with the same level of importance.

Well, I never tried to compete with men. All of my accomplishments directly derived from expressing myself as a woman. Family is indispensable to me and achieving the level of success is my way of positively representing my family because then I become a positive role model.

After break, the professor then discussed non-monetary incentives for selecting an occupation. He discussed how two years ago after completing his dissertation he and his engineer friend during summer break call all of their friends to ask what they were doing after work only to hang up on them because now they earned more money (he’s young that’s why he makes so many bonehead remarks!).

I want to become an Economist because I like researching information and contributing to society by formulating socioeconomic policies. In addition, I also promised myself that I would work and attend school because becoming purely an academic did not appeal to me (what happens when there are problems but the solutions are not provided in an answer key?) Thus far, I am living up to my expectations by working; however, I have joined some economic organizations such as the American Economic Association and the Cleveland Association of Business Economics to complement my employment since I am not currently in the economic field. Yet, the low homework reinforces the importance of academic/profession balance and how I cannot allow my short-term personal problems and scheduling conflict to undermine my long-term future prospects!

No comments: