Saturday, February 18, 2006

Factoring Equations

Today started out like any other day except that it was Saturday so I didn’t have to go to work. Prior to class, I traveled to the math lab to review the x-intercepts and y-intercept questions in preparation of the upcoming microeconomics exam this Tuesday. My goal is to score 21 out of 30 (at least a C), and after scoring 85% on the chapter 1 study guide, I am confident that by sticking to my plan, I will achieve my objective.

After the math lesson, I checked my email for the Regional Economist application. The position located in Los Angeles would be great for me because it was in my career field. However, I would need to find housing and transfer courses to complete my degree. But, that concern was minor because I would just apply as a graduate non-degree student. First, is the interview because if he requested a face-to-face instead of a phone interview, then it would be costly (a plane ticket and everything!).

So preoccupied with researching and reprinting my application, that I was tardy for my Intermediate Algebra course. During the break, a Tanzanian man was discussing polygamy and how in his country a man could take more than one wife. (Whoa!) What really blew me was that the American woman actually approved of it by stating that “she knows that all of her girlfriends’ boyfriends cheated on them!”) Personally, I was thinking of how problematic spreading AIDS was because in polygamy though a man could choose as many wives, the woman could only have one husband; and, how would she know that her husband was cheating on her with someone else besides the other woman he supposedly married? After class, I asked him about it and he said that he had only one wife (Whew!) Still I think that he was a little bit off but he was kind of nice.

Immediately after class, I inquired about the study guide for the second test (my personal goal is to score at least 100 points which is achievable because I have solved all of the homework problems, attended tutoring and had the study guide.) and the professor responded “Maybe.” Well, at the math lab I completed the remainder of the chapter problems with the tutor who taught me some beneficial shortcuts that would assist me throughout the course and provided some great advising for scheduling the next math courses during the summer and fall semesters. He told me to take Precalculus not Trigonometry because the former would help me more with economics than the latter. And, if I needed any further assistance I could call on him.

No comments: