Saturday, April 13, 2013

The Week That Was


It hit me like a load of bricks to learn earlier this morning that one of my grade-school friends died of hypertension and high blood pressure at age 36! This discovery has angered me so much that it has taken me some time to calm down because I almost curse! I am 35 and cannot envision myself dying over other people’s mess. All along I’m thinking that she is doing well in Los Angeles managing a fashion brand and she dies.  I’m here in DC, in the nation’s capital, and am not letting any of the stress get to me.  I thank God for friends and my mother for instilling oatmeal for breakfast for low cholesterol because I am not going to be her!
            On a much happier note, this Thursday I attended my Hiram College DC alumni chapter event at the Rayburn Office Building.  Though I arrived late I still had a seat.  The two women were very knowledgeable and motivated me to pursue my doctorate in either economics or business administration (My other grade school friend getting accepted into Harvard doctoral education program was very big, too).  The session was very informal with the panel touching upon everything.  Though I agreed with most of the stuff, I thought that the panel underestimated the anti-illegal immigration part. Illegal still meant something. If I committed a crime I would be incarcerated and a felon stripped of my voting rights.  That ain’t passing until legal and illegal immigration were separated.
            After the panel, I walked to Charlie Palmer steakhouse. Even with a blistering headache, I managed to order salmon and the best dessert I ever tasted.  Below was the sorbet and frozen custard. It was the best.  




The ride home not so much because the raggedy cabbie ran the meter up on me because I was a woman and refused a tip. I called and emailed my DC Taxi Commission complaint. I didn’t owe him anything!

No comments: