Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reconnecting

Yesterday I dropped off my evening dress to a friend who worked at a high school. The school took these dresses for needy girls who couldn’t afford a prom dress. Even though I could had asked for a receipt, I didn’t because seeing a girl happy at her prom was payment enough. Later I learned from my friend that another undergraduate alumna lived here but after her residency will return to Ohio. I told her that I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to start by funding a scholarship. I didn’t just want to return with more money and experience but with more meaning. What was the use of spending five years here returning the same way as I came? I envisioned endowing two book scholarships one per university. I even knew how much money I would need to bring my dream to fruition. She then notified me that every month she ate brunch up in upper Northwest DC. I told her to provide me with the details and I would attend. This drop-off opportunity was a wonderful way of reconnecting with old friends.

No comments: