Saturday, April 16, 2011

Project Management Class Week 1: Motivation

I leave Thursday’s class tired but knowing that my instructor was capable of having me pass the Certificate Associate Program Manager (CAPM) and Project Management Professional (PMP) certifications this spring and summer. He has taught the brain dump exercise where you spend the first 15 minutes writing down all of the formulae and notes that you have remembered. I will apply this to my American University classes since their finals will be in three weeks. Also I learn that having read four chapters of the PMBOK that I am further along than my classmates. Today I have completed my brain drain and will reread my first four chapters before starting chapter five Monday. By Thursday, I have chapter six read. This represents half of the book with this being my second week. Chapters 5 and 6 along with chapters 7, 8 and 11 are the most covered chapters on the CAPM. Getting these out of the way during weeks 2 and 3 will enable me to pass the two exams on my first try. The instructor says that we should read the PMBOK. At this rate, I will accomplish this objective.

Getting ahead will also benefit me because a potential employer is interested in me. Having my CAPM license increases my chances. If this doesn’t pan out then there are other public and private employers interested me. My instructor says that obtaining the PMP certification results in one promotion. This is music to my ears because after five years I am looking for one. However, I like how project management has organized my work because I truly want to do better professionally.

No comments: