Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Review of Russell Simmons' Do You

This book was inspiring by providing insight from someone who has been in the music business for 25 years. Every time he gave an example from moving to where the action was to clearing off your lenses to realize the abundance of available opportunity, it resonated with me. I wanted to become an economist so I moved from Cleveland to Washington, DC. I knew that continuing my education was important so I transferred from Cleveland State to American (I am in the process of trying to reduce my tuition costs because this fall the university wants $1,111 per credit hour. Yikes!). Also I sought out more challenges to improve myself because ultimately I was in charge of my life. I refuse to believe that there is a glass ceiling (well, concrete because I am a black woman) and that’s why I push the promotion so hard. My work will be rewarded or I go elsewhere. Furthermore, the story about Jinx was extremely heart warming. As former high school dropout, he has returned to earn his GED, and advocates education to everyone who crosses his path. You cannot help but root for him and his recovery from a gang shooting. I hope to hear from this artist soon.

There are some things, most importantly proclaiming himself to be a mogul when he sells all of his ventures. Equity, not money, makes one a mogul because it doesn’t matter if you have money when you have no ownership. Russell has sold Def Jam, Phat Farm, everything so he has essentially no equity. I’ve decided to modify his message since I will become the first black Fortune 500 CEO of a wholly owned company: never sell up to move up.

No comments: