Friday, May 25, 2007

The Impact of Positive Thinking

Making suggestions to the writer about helping eliminate poverty and providing positive alternatives to the youth, gives me a wonderful feeling because I’m now stepping into the mentor role. Mentioning Upward Bound, Gear Up, YMCA Black Achievers and America Reads recalls the importance the organizational staffs have had on me. When I return to Washington, DC, I will participate in these programs. This exchange coupled with reading Earl Graves Sr.’s June 2007 Black Enterprise editorial advocating that black businesses step up and provide high quality alternatives to the dearth of role models within the community (I am glad that he does not finger only the poor but also the rich!), has made me realize the amount of leadership and knowledge skills that I possess. This summer I will participate in both DC and Arlington Reads. I know that I possess the training and the talent to help people become more literate. Furthermore, I would love to teach GED preparation courses in addition to community colleges. After completing my UDC math courses, I will apply for an Upward Bound Science Math precalculus teaching position. Moreover, I can incorporate my SAS knowledge to create a computer science class that exposes children to new computing languages. Aha! This exercise has enabled me to positively channel my creative energies which result in change. All I have to do are focus on my work and devote thirty minutes daily towards learning. Improving my skills will help me improve my community.

Since founding my own college is my life’s goal, participating in educational programs and learning more about the grant process are imperative towards realizing this dream. Even attending the Ingenuity Festival and traveling to Brazil will deplete my vacation hours, I will enroll in the DC Foundation Center’s one-day grant writing seminar to acquire the writing abilities necessary to finance this endeavor. It is important to obtain as much experience as possible to ensure that I know what I am doing. It amazes me the impact of one little email has had on today’s critical thinking!

No comments: