Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Art of Dealmaking

Yesterday after exiting the disappointing DuPont Circle opening house (the apartment was half the size of my current one), I struck up a conversation with a fellow AU undergrad student about apartment hunting. I told him about my success calling real estate companies and that he should try this and next week to obtain July and August. Also, I told him about my Friendship Heights and Arlington, VA basement apartments to which he responded that “those were some great deals.” Prior to his remark, I never saw myself as a deal maker. However, I managed to pull off what many in the metro DC area could not: getting the most space for my buck! And, if I could blindly seal deals then think how effectively I would be now with my eyes and ears wide open!

I will call more firms to receive insider information for the July/August vacancies. In addition, I delay purchasing my trip until June 5th, when I have a ballpark figure and pulled my credit score. By the time I settle in to my new diggs, I will have closed my biggest deal ever: a basement apartment with no less than 900 sq. ft!

2 comments:

Pedro said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pedro said...

Could you mention which firms you contacted? I'm in the apartment hunting process myself and could use all the help I can get.

Thanks.