Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Opportunity Journal Entry #4: You Never Know if You Don't Ask

Giving thanks: Prior to the CAAB seminar, I have mailed three thank you letters to Craig Jones, Lavern Chatnam and Marion Barnwell for accepting me into the fold! Regardless of what’s going on today, stopping to give thanks for the many blessings that I have received. So I am too blessed to be stressed!

Blog: Yesterday I was accepted into Johns Hopkins University's Applied Economics program as a provisional student. The school requires three courses then I could change my status to degree-seeking. Since I currently attend American, this status is okay especially since I intend on remaining here.

While peeking on the secretary’s desk (to see if she was there to gather a training justification), I saw one in her inbox which said JHU. Immediately I asked Rob about if funds were available (I told him that I did take a course. Honestly is the best policy.) He said to apply for the summer to see what happens and if money was available this fall then I could resubmit for that semester. This liberates my finances because now I can use my HSBC money towards my trip and relocation (though I am still entertaining taking statistics but that is another matter.) Furthermore, I called the training officer to locate the form on the intranet and during our conversation mentioned that no comparison was needed if my course was below a certain dollar amount (which it was!). Finally, after some kind of weird email exchange with a JHU financial aid secretary, I contacted my AU financial aid counselor who provided the consortium financial aid agreement releasing my funds to JHU.

All of these developments would have never materialized if I had not asked the director about summer aid. Now I have more options available to me simply because I overcame my indifference to taking more than one class and asked.

No comments: