Monday, March 05, 2007

Winds of Change

Yesterday while watching Suze Orman’s Women & Money series, I realized that I had to payoff the remaining amount owed to Citibank to close this account and be one step closer to being debt-free! During her tv special, a woman in the audience had $6800 in credit card debt but $10,000 in savings though she proclaimed that she had so much money. Suze told her that she had so little and that she was afraid to repay because she’d thought that she would had been broke. Immediately the lightbulb clicked! That was me. No, I wasn’t giving my family money but I did the money in savings and an outstanding Citibank account.

This morning I called Citibank to make payoff arrangements. The rep informed me that the actual amount. I agreed and she stopped the accruing interest, Then I recalled the company to inquire about what would happen afterward to which the rep responded that my account would be reported immediately to the credit bureau upon receipt of payment and that after thirty days, I can request an official letter. I will mail my payoff this morning and will look out for its posting this Thursday or Friday. By the end of this week, I will have only Hudson & Keyse left and will pay it off by December.

The second woman in the audience talked about how even though she made mortgage payments that her house was in negative amortization because those payments didn’t cover the total amount (Hearing this made me feel so bad because she was 29). She responded that should get rid out of the house, because it was bringing her so much pain. Immediately I realized that living here in Virginia bought me a lot of pain because I had to take a bus to work instead of just the red line metro train. Plus that consumed an additional $1.25 every day from my Metropass. Even if I had a car, it would still be inconvenient for me and although I do love the proximity of the community college to my residence, I truly believe that staying in DC offers me better proximity to American and UDC. On top of that I could go to the grocery store whenever I wanted and because I lived in a house, didn’t have to worry about UPS. Yes, it is time to move back to DC or to Rosslyn and retain my residency.

While returning to work after my post office run, Suze Orman’s words about being happy that I have a job instead of being broke with no money resonated with me. Yes I added an additional $100 to my payment but so what? The debt needed to be repaid anyway and the more money the better. Besides the Citibank rep cancelled my finance charge and stretched my due date from March to April.

Furthermore, I only have to work three more days before I am officially off. Then next week is the policy conference in Crystal City where the major panels do not start until 11am meaning that I can stay at home in bed until 10am then mosey over there via the bus and AU spring break meaning that I can just go home Thursday evening. My job is virtually cake for these next three weeks plus I am getting paid so how can I beat that?

Suze had eight principles for a wealthy woman and happiness and cleanliness are two of them. Over this past month, I have had two major acne breakouts from what I guess was because I no longer used Lever soap on my face; but, I made a personal commitment that I would allocate money towards personal care products that ensure that I no longer get anymore acne on my keloid skin. I need to take better care of myself and Tuesday I will travel to the store to buy more towels to reduce over using them plus I can buy more blazers and spring ensembles.

This week I will make the most out of my life by relaxing and focusing on balance. It is important to achieve this and watching the Suze Orman Women & Money show has awaken me from my Type-A, professional slumber.

No comments: