Thursday, June 01, 2006

F.E.A.R.

F.E.A.R.

For
Everything
A
Reason


I am in this city alone because I have willed myself to have a better job and more opportunity. I felt that I deserve better. Why scrap as a lowly county employee for $11 an hour when I have an MBA when I can earn twice as much doing something in my profession! Even though things are extremely slow right, I have taken the initiative to participate in outside activities that will boost my job knowledge because I really want to excel! I have the skills but more importantly the heart to know that this is my calling. I like adding numbers and reading in between the lines.

Case in point: I reside on the DC/Maryland border and almost everyday some migrant workers sit on the curb awaiting their ride. I never experienced this while in Cleveland! People pass by as if there is no problem (I’ve made it my goal to speak to them because I find it alienating to not acknowledge someone.) I often wonder about their lives because it was only three weeks ago that I was in another city; two weeks ago that my checking account bounced because my former employer mailed my last payroll check instead of directly deposited it into my account; and one week ago got lost trying to commute to work; However, I emerged from all of these potential downers stronger than ever and am intent upon leaving my mark in my profession, this city and the world.

Writing this blog accomplishes my mission by allowing me to document, evaluate and assess my feelings. Maintaining decency and decorum have always been the pillars of my page because there are enough voyeuristic, egomaniac people cluttering the blogosphere that my contribution must be positive. In addition, there have not been any real accounts about Generation Y professional living and I wish to participate in this discussion. Upon my arrival to Washington, DC, though there are a lot of young professionals under thirty, the majority work in support positions. Here at my employer, forty-two is the average age. At age 28, it can be downright depressing at times. Being under thirty cuts me off from some of the activities. I feel like I am 17 all over again! This age imbalance carries over into the professional organizations because although the young professionals are in my age group, most are not professionals but support workers. However, I use my age as motivation to accomplish everything and anything by age 30, 35 and 42.

Right now I am amassing my collection of thoughts, essays and poems into a book because I have been feeling one for quite some time. It will include some of my pictures, essays about my travels, blog entries and, of course, some new experiences courtesy of my relocation. Regardless, of what topics are covered this journey has taught me never to fear the unknown or the unexpected.

No comments: