Sunday, April 01, 2012

Personal Enrichment Is a Must

            Watching these student videos make me want to hand them a copy of Story  by Robert McKee!  Their pictures would be so much better!  Oftentimes, you read on the required textbooks instead of those on the strongly recommended list.  I admit when I was a student I only read from the former. Now as an adult, I understand the personal enrichment concept.  Though I attend Writer Center workshops, I read as many books from the recommended list as possible to learn more tips.  I’ve learned more from these books than the lectures.  I like Story because even though it was written 15 years ago in 1997, it is eye-opening. 
            After I complete Story, I’ll start reading The Screenwriter’s Bible.  Forget the fact that the USDA Graduate School has cancelled its screenwriting class, I’m still reading its assigned textbook.  As I age, I’ve claimed responsibility for my own education.  Monday, I’ll call USDA asking about the class’ status. Still I’ll order the book to prepare me for ScriptFrenzy and April’s volunteer film role.  I must know what I’m talking about.  Moreover, the Writer Center won’t offer filmmaking until mid-May.  That 1 ½ months later.  Besides, I’m on my personal timetable where I must write no less than three 20-minute TV episodes during ScriptFrenzy in order to pitch my concept to Aspire TV.  I have been looking into learning about filming and cinematography.  I am adamant about creating my own sizzle reel to accompany my TV pitch.  Of course, I’ll have all of my newly acquired film friends.  I have the money so I’ll attend in April as many workshops as possible to absorb as much knowledge.  Remember, this is a business and possessing working knowledge of cinematography helps me establish expectations.
            My business mentality has helped me find creative opportunities.  Combine this with my MBA, project management certification and professional film membership, and I’ll blow up the industry!  I am ready to hit the ground running.  I’ve just joined the film organization today and will research area film schools for workshops because I will become the full package.  I haven’t ignored my online Ed2Go courses that hold me over whenever the Writer Center or UDC doesn’t offer the classes that I need.  I’ve just scored 86% on my Breaking into Sitcom TV writing final and scored 100% on Descriptive Settings quizzes 1 and 2.  This week I might pay $99 to enroll in Ed2Go’s Pleasures of Poetry because I must expand my creativity and vocabulary.  In addition, I might rollover my $87 to attend the Writer Center’s Syntax seminar to improve my wordplay.  These classes are personal investment ensuring that I keep learn and honing my craft to get picked up by the network.

No comments: