Friday, January 22, 2010

Proactivity Blog Entry #6: Retraining

President Obama discussing retraining at Lorain Community College in my home state of Ohio and highlighting two factory workers' working full-time jobs while enrolling in a 6-month retraining program resonate with me. After completing my ALDP detail in November 2008, I wanted to become a statistician. The federal government required 15 math credits, 6 of which must be in statistics. Though I had over 15 math credits, I had 0 statistics credits thus last summer I took elementary statistics. During the same time one of my friends received a GS-13 Survey Manager position, I was motivated to complete business statistics last fall semester to qualify. Immediately upon finishing business statistics, I requested a student copy of my transcript to vie for similar statistician positions. Now I am on the cusp of receiving a promotion. My retraining is not limited to mathematics because I am pursuing my BA in Political Science.
While researching the college catalog for my BA in Spanish, I learn that my BA qualifies me for a lot of the political science credits. The university has accepted all 120 undergraduate credits thus allowing me to bypass the major's general requirements. In addition, I think that the department would waive the introductory level courses because of my BA and MBA. Having taken a political science class while enrolled at Hiram College, I am petitioning the university to accept it as an elective; thereby, leaving me with only four classes. However, I want to take the credit by examination to liberate my money. This is manageable especially if I take a position outside of downtown Washington, DC. The majority of statisitcians are outside the District. Today the Arlington Library has notified me that it has placed my poli-sci book on hold for me at its Central location. This weekend I will gather it and begin reading the book because I really want to test out of the classes. The university credit by examination fee is $50 versus $350 for actually enrollining in the class so why not go for it?
Earning my BA in political science is my way of expanding my career opportunities. Here in DC there are an abundance of job positions. Even though I possess a BA in International Economics and an MBA, having the poli-sci degree is equivalent to having my passport stamped. I can secure political appointments and foreign service positions. One of the department's elective is US foreign policy. Obtaining it along with two degrees and five years' economist experience enable me to lay the foundation for passing the Department of State's foreign service officer exam. Attaining important assignments allow me to fully use all of my skills and as a Type A personality I love it!

No comments: