Monday, August 27, 2007

Seek and Ye Shall Find

Recently my preoccupation of women receiving invitations to join select clubs got the better of me (I am already a member of one but this one was more exclusive than mine; and, all of the time I wondered what they had that I did not. At age 30, I was an economist with two degrees earned by age twenty-five and possessed and was active in many social service organizations because higher education was my calling. I had even met some women who were members though they were in their mid-fifties.) Since I lived only three blocks from the headquarters I decided to walk in the drizzle during Saturday evening. During the trek I bypassed the nondescript building which was a sure sign that if I missed its importance then it really was not important in the first place. Returning home, one of a group of lost German tourists asked me for directions to their hotel off of Rhode Island Avenue, NW and I kindly guided them back to their destination. At the end of the journey they waive goodbye. Finally, making it to my apartment, I understood that I was seeking the wrong kind of attention and that experience made me realize the real reason why I would make a perfect for this and any organization: I had goodwill, kindness, and a sure sense of direction.

No comments: