Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Scrum Journal: Day 2


                I have decided to pursue my certified scrum master license. Telvin has okayed it and I have learned that the Fairfax CSM training class has 8 more slots. Furthermore, I have learned from Peter that I can write this sucker off on my taxes (which is cool but my ultimate goal is earning my certification to increase my competitive advantage). After all of this, I have bought Scrum for Dummies reading all the way to page 57. I must admit that I have learned so much more from this than I previously thought. I was skeptical because yesterday I read a scrum book from the master! Jeff Sutherland was the discipline’s cofounder. I thought that I knew everything; but, Scrum for Dummies is teaching so much more about the discipline. Although I am resting my finger, I know that I will surpass 75 pages even the first 100 pages by the end of tonight. I am very hungry to walk into Wednesday’s workshop with working scrum knowledge. I refuse to be half-cocked rolling in there even if it is 8:30am!
                I have started developing a new morning routine. My normal routine is to work from 10am to 3:30am so when I learn that the CSM workshop starting time is 8:30am, I know that I have to change. I make my cell phone’s clock alarm goes off at 6am and 6:30am ( I have awakened at 6:20am). This course costs over $1000 which is too much money to mess up oversleeping! This is the rest of my life. I must admit that I am quite amazed that I am still fully functioning during the evening.
                I have plunked down the money for the CSM training. There is no going back. I will stick to my schedule because I truly believe that come Friday, I will be certified and my life will change. CSM will help solidify my being a techie. I always love tinkering and learning about new trends. Scrum is a framework about doing things rapidly in many iterations. In a way, Scrum resembles my life. Having been in DC for nearly 10 years, my life Monday couldn’t mirror my life Friday of the same week. I have had situations where my life has completely changed (for the better) in one year. I vividly remembered the difference before and after my Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM). One day I was struggling to get by, the next day, I had more than enough income. The same with my Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. After obtaining my PMP, employers just start coming out of the woodwork. Many told me that they would only interview me because I had the MBA/PMP combination. I feel the same way with the CSM. I love being a techie and an ardent advocate of continuous improvement; and, scrum is all about continuous improvement. Scrum is starting to be my sweet spot because I love continuous improvement and using my intuition to hack myself. This looks like it is going to work out well.

No comments: