Monday, March 21, 2016

Scrum Journal : Day 1



Early Sunday morning at 12:45am, I emailed four of my LinkedIn connections who had both PMP and (CSM) certified scrum master certifications asking them about CSM. I have done this instead of sleep, because I have had things swirling in my head. I am also fed up of potential employers asking me if my PMP certification the only certification; or, if I am considering ITIL certification. This morning I got sick and tired of being sick and tired! I was in a rut and had to get out of it.
                When I reawaked, three of the four connections responded. All three mentioned that scrum was hot. Also one person recommended a book by scrum cofounder Jeff Sutherland. After one sample chapter, I was enthralled finding the Crown publishing larger sample chapters. Although I bought the paper book, I decided not to wait until after 8pm in order to receive the information. That was the best decision I made today because my paper book arrived at 8:30pm and I finished reading and outlining the book at 9:30pm. Jeff Sutherland’s book took you through Scrum’s past, present and future. The appendix was a goldmine taking the reader through ten steps. Upon completing the book, I decide to take the CSM exam. My business analysis background and IT project management helped so much with this decision.

Once I decided to earn CSM certification, I went to ScrumAlliance to check out the local courses. Now although there was no eligibility criteria (like 4500 project management hours for PMP with college degrees), those 2-day workshop prices were sky high. $993 was the cheapest. Yikes! I just thanked God that I had the money on my credit card. Another problem was timing. I got this CSM epiphany on a Sunday. Three workshops started Monday so of course they were full. In addition, another CSM workshop was filled for Thursday and Friday. My research skills went into overdrive because I would not be denied this opportunity to advance my career! I found some other courses but these companies straight up lied about their locations. One in particular, had the unmitigated gall to say Washington, DC but its workshop was happening in Sterling, Virginia at the Dulles Spring Hill Suites. Look Dulles airport was far away in Virginia. Washington, DC had National Airport. That company was trying to capture the unsuspecting non-natives. It would not get me though! I did manage to find another CSM workshop in Fairfax; but, I checked the map and saw it was near George Mason University (or the boonies as a downtown Washingtonian would say). I checked the address learning that it was off of the Vienna, Virginia metro stop. Okay, cool. The orange line was manageable. The price was lower than the $1300, $1650 and $1950 that I saw. I emailed the vendor for more accurate address and information. And, with that, I was well on my way towards becoming a certified scrum master.

No comments: