Friday, June 21, 2013

Do It Yourself is Always in Fashion

Today I’ve met with the lady at Bits of Thread for my designer mentoring program informational session. I’ve registered after paying for my working with patterns class.  Since DC Fashion Foundation is in disarray (it has taken me over one month to receive my textile class refund) and showing my inaugural collection in next year’s Cleveland Fashion Week is my goal, why not sign up? Though I possess an MBA and 10 years’ business experience, I need to learn from someone already in the game.  I’ve told her that I’ve already taken beginners one, sewing two, copy your clothes, perfect your skirt and will take working with patterns this June so I’ve farther along than most newbies.  Moreover, I want to debut my collection next May in Cleveland, my hometown. She and I work on my 1-year goal dissecting it. I tell her that I watch All on the Line with Joe Zee, Rachel Zoe Project, Resale Royalty and Betsey Johnson to learn about the fashion business. I know that it’s more than clothes.  That’s the so-called creative get things all messed up. This is business and it’s how you make money and pay your rent.

            Returning from my session motivates me to work on it for the next 2 weeks that Jackie goes on vacation.  The one thing that I’m happy about is that I’m not waiting for DC Fashion Foundation to get its act together. I’m going for dolo! Why get mad when I can read the Business of Fashion blog, learn the fashion business and return to my July meeting ahead of the pack? I’ve already expressed my interest in taking the future perfect your pants class because I’ll add this item to my capsule collection.

No comments: