Thursday, May 02, 2013

One-Third of 2013 Is Gone. Now What?


The best news of today: I’ve stepped out on faith submitting my PMP.  I thank God that I had the presence of mind to keep my old 2011 PMP application with all of the old reference names and numbers in it else I’d be scrambling.  I pray that PMI approves it either Friday or Monday because I want to board the United plane for Cleveland knowing that I’m approved.  I arrive at this decision because 1/3 of this year is gone and I need to do something; therefore, I apply to sit for the PMP certification exam.  Now it becomes real.  I’ve put it all on the line!
            Earlier this morning I gave our secretary my updated PMP verification spreadsheet because this is what the instructor has used in his course.  Her thanking me makes me realize how much I’ve done on my own.  While she is sitting in a classroom learning from an instructor first, I jumped feet first into the online ed2go project management courses. I took every one then enrolled in the USDA Graduate School PMP exam prep twice in order to pass the CAPM. Now I’ve re-enrolled in the PMP Certification 1 and 2 courses to prepare for the exam. Furthermore, I’ve developed my own certification project summary form streamlining the process.  I’m adamant about making a way out of no way because I won’t be denied anything just because I haven’t tried.
I’m not stopping at PMP either because I’ve been studying for the Project Management Institute- Agile Certified Practitioner (PMI-ACP) certification test for over one year. I work in disaster management. Agile fits perfectly. I have the Rita Mulachy (RMC) ACP study guide, Fast track software, and several other practice exams.  After resting from the PMP a wee bit, I’ll restart studying for the PMI-ACP by accumulating the 21 credit hours needed to apply for certification.  Since (PMI) is keeping the fourth PMBOK for this test, that’s an added incentive because I don’t have to master the fifth edition. Another bonus is that no one in workplace has PMI-ACP.  The one who does is a contractor and not in the applicant pool. Since this certification is less than 2 years old, I can position myself to be the subject matter expert. I think that I can complete this certification before October 1st.
Finally, I’m considering the business analysis certification because it’s an up-and-coming certification and I possess over 10 years’ experience.  Since it’s gaining currency, I might as well, earn it in order to enhance my competitive advantage. I know that I will complete this around February 2014.

No comments: