Sunday, March 31, 2013

Seeking Decadence and Ambiance at J and G Steakhouse


Last night I decided to eat dinner at J and G Steakhouse was I needed the hipster ambiance and the W hotel didn’t disappoint.  Dressed in my Adrienne Landau mixed rabbit fur coat, Stuart Weitzman croc embossed over-the-knee boots and Ann Taylor Loft skinny jeans, I walked down 15th street NW. Once I hit the lobby, there was a female guitarist named Heather Renee serenading in the lobby.  This was a first for me; but, maybe, it was because I probably hadn’t gone there on Friday. At least in recent memory.  I arrived to the maître d’s desk promptly at 9pm but he told me that ‘there would be a small wait because we are cleaning up tables right now’. Small my butt because I sat in the lobby watching March Madness and listening to Heather Renee until 9:27pm!  

He then got me off of the couch taking me to my table.  I was so happy that he put me near the Pennsylvania Avenue NW exit with a nice view of the Washington Monument. My server introduced himself to me.  I ordered the cheese truffled fritters because I had four entrée options in my head.  The fritters appetizers delicious! I loved their cheesiness and wolfed them all down.  Finally, I decided on the 10-ounce hanger steak.  Throughout the wait, I checked espn.com scoreboard to see how Michigan was doing. Me being an Ohio native, I had a very low opinion of ScuM; but, since they were in the same Big Ten conference I begrudgingly rooted for their advancement.  Trey Burke didn’t disappoint. He hit the game-tying shot sending the game into overtime and was the leading catalyst for the Wolverines beating the Kansas Jayhawks 87-85. Okay so with my beloved Buckeyes ScuM advanced to the Elite Eight. Immediately after the win, my steak arrived.  J and G Steakhouse had its own steak sauce which was sweeter than A1.  Nevertheless, it complemented the steak.  I ate all of the fries and nearly all of the steak before getting my waiter for dessert. I naively asked for ice cream.  I didn’t know the steakhouse made boozy ice cream laden with alcohol.  I worked on the mint and chocolate because I refused to get ‘drunk’ over some dessert!  

Below are all of my photos:

W Hotel Lobby

W Hotel Lobby Chandeliers 

W Hotel Lobby

W Hotel Lobby

10-ounce hanger steak with french fries

Cheese truffled fritters

Ice Cream with raspberries and blueberries

No comments: