Saturday, December 15, 2012

Being Open to Change


This month I will have been on my new job for 8 months; and, in 4 more months I will receive my next promotion.  This realization motivates me to purchase the Be Your Own Boss book because I need to manage my money and opportunity.  Last night I attended the DC Black MBA Christmas party.  I observed that most members were only 5-10 years older than I was but earning less than I did.  Right then I sat still analyzing peoples’ conversations.  Being still sharpened my intuition.  Mentally I saw myself 5-10 years older as a corporate executive armed with my MBA/PMP/CPA/CQE certifications not stuck in middle management.  Obtaining my CAPM certification resulted in my receiving this job.  It took me 3 years to land this job but I didn’t quit and didn’t resign myself to the fate that I’d always be stuck in the middle. Securing the PMP/CPA/CQE certifications guaranteed at least two more promotions. 
            Returning to purchasing the book, even though I am not starting a business yet, I equate my professional career as a business.  Since I know that I will receive another promotion in 4 more months, I must position myself to be successful.  I will earn $16,000 more money and might even exceed the payroll tax maximum.  Next year I will travel more.  I will attend the NBA All-Star weekend in Houston.  If I like Houston, I will return for the Black MBA annual conference next September. Personally, I want to read this book as mental preparation for the new year.  I am already using my own money to enroll in statistics classes and read quality engineering books for my job.  This change is heaped on me without notice.  Learning how to effectively manage unforeseen changes in a business context will help me personally and professionally in 2013.

No comments: