Monday, March 26, 2012

Creating Win-Win Situations

            Friday I had the hiring agency’s HR lady tell me that I didn’t qualify for the position.  I was disappointed because I was also nursing a nasty cold taking a ½ day off to recuperate.  I truly didn’t need that dismal news upon returning home.  She then asked me for my agency’s contact.  I told her that mine was out until Monday.  Crazed I called my mentor who advised me to reach out to the hiring official.  He might had some pull to hire me.  My officemate told me that my federal status was the sole thing holding me back.  If I wasn’t working for the feds, the hiring agency would had approved me.  Her words calmed me bringing my blood pressure down for the entire weekend.
            Fast forward to Monday.  My agency’s HR responds to my email.  I answer that it has gotten a whole lot more complicated since Thursday night.  Making a follow-up call to see if she’s in her office.  When she confirms, I walk to the second floor telling her everything.  I have taken my finger prints and eQip 85.  Also how originally the site says that I am not selected.  I ask the interviewer this before getting started.  He tells me that the certificate is still good.  Agency HR is astounded that I’ve gotten through the entire process undetected.  In disbelief, I mention that I have the announcement.  She tells me to get them.  Returning to my office, I am disappointed that the higher grade announcement has merit attached.  Printing the USAJOBS account, the lower grade one is for everyone.  I go back down to HR’s office armed with both.  Seeing these two, my HR is flabbergasted.  I guess HR has picked me for the wrong announcement.  I ask her if it is possible to switch me from the higher grade to the lower grade.  This saves me time and HR money.  No one loses face for a paper mistake.  Mine agrees telling me that she anticipates a call from the other HR to smooth it over for me.  Creating a win-win situation speaks of personal maturity.  Why make someone look stupid?

No comments: