Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Opportunity Journal Entry #25: Credit By Examination

Today I travel to the UDC bookstore to write down the book titles for all classes corresponding to certain CLEP and DSST exams. The book store worker seems enthusiastic when I tell him that I do not need any assistance because I have brought my list with the appropriate section numbers (Hey, I am on a mission!). Immediately I jot down every single book title from personal finance to business mathematics to management information systems. Cumulatively, I can test out of seven CLEP and DSST exams supplying the sound foundation to build my business economics portfolio to submit to an Ivy League doctoral program. The creation of this portfolio comes from a way to differentiate myself from other candidates. Although I am an economist with an MBA and have won numerous scholarships, I need to do more. Testing out of more business and statistical courses boost my career and academic profiles. I am only six statistics credits away from becoming a statistician and these tests present a viable alternative toward accomplishing it. Finally, they are cheaper at $90 a class than UDC resident tuition.

Afterward I walk to the Math Department to retrieve the business mathematic syllabi. I ask the secretary if Dean Steadman is here. She points to her office. Initially, I cannot see the dean but then I see her in the dark. I ask her about the department's credit by exam procedure. Also, I inform her about needing the statistics credit hours to become a statistician. Then she gives it to me along with a time frame (this week and next week are horrible but any other time will be okay).

Finally I have a timetable for taking the credit by examination tests because it has been four months in the making. I want to test out of elementary statistics I and II, business mathematics II, linear algebra, differential equations, and now, discrete mathematics since it is in my graduate micro text. Dean Steadman's remark about being able to take it throughout the semester comforts me because right now I am financially stretched even though I qualify for residency (At least, I can pay out of pocket).

No comments: