Friday, August 15, 2008

Elitism Gone Awry

This is my response to William Deresiewicz's Exhortation: The Disadvantages of an Elite Education found here: http://www.theamericanscholar.org/su08/elite-deresiewicz.html

The author characterizes Cleveland State as a place with a lack of nurturers in the form of advisors, tutors, etc. which unfounded because the MBA program offers finance tutoring which helps me immensely. However, comparing a public versus a private one is unfair simply because they are not going after the same student. Having earned my undergraduate degree from a private liberal arts institution, not only did I see my advisor but we have eaten dinner over her house (many resided in the college town). There is more intimacy which shows in the price tag. Public schools function to accommodate those who cannot afford private school tuition but exhibit the same fire, drive and ambition.

Receiving my MBA from Cleveland State, I currently work as a GS-11 economist at the Bureau of Economic Analysis, a premier economic agency producing the gross domestic product. Economics is one the most popular majors. Many Ivy Leaguers would die to have my prestigious job because this number is recited by the president, Treasury secretary and Fed chairman, all fellow Ivy Leaguers. I have never felt that my instruction was either substandard or preparing me to be a clog in the machine. In addition, NASA Glenn and several Fortune 500 companies such as Keybank, National City, Progressive Insurance and Sherwin-Williams actively recruit from Cleveland State as well as its wealthier neighbor, Case. These corporations know the value of Cleveland State University graduates.

Currently, I am a master's of economics candidate enrolled at American University and have financed all of math classes at the Northern Virginia Community College, USDA Graduate School, and the University of the District of Columbia, all state-sponsored schools. Their instruction have enhanced my professional work because now I can solve higher-order math problems. This in return benefits the entire American economy, Ivy league of not.

No comments: