Saturday, August 09, 2008

My 31st Birthday

I have had an eventful 31st birthday today. I ate lunch at Smith & Wollensky's and the restaurant gave me a birthday card and triple chocolate cake to commemorate the event. Though I mistakenly ordered the creamed spinach for an extra $10, the fact that I could afford it, with more money to splurge on myself. Furthermore, by my 32nd birthday I will be a GS-12 economist.

Securing this promotion is a quite achievable feat given my ALDP slot, developmental assignment and four new components. These accomplishments showcase my research ability and depth. Also, I am not above transferring out if I feel that my career is stagnating. The developmental assignment provides a great opportunity to acquire new skills and cultivate my relationships. Come March if I believe that my current employer will not review my promotional request, then I am posting out to another agency. I do not work for free! Besides, next May I will have earned my MA in Economics degree with Omicron Delta Epsilon honors from American University and will embark on my doctoral journey to a top-tier program; therefore, there is little time for pettiness. I do not know how much time I have on earth, and I refuse to waste any on something totally unproductive. Why go through life bitter and frustrated.

1 comment:

jessica said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my dissertation research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards