Friday, August 15, 2008

My Yahoo Finance Response to Laura Rowley's Article

Here is my response to today's Laura Rowley's It's Time to Rethink College Debt found here:

I attended and graduated with a BA in economics from a Midwest liberal arts college and currently am an economist at a major statistical agency in Washington, DC. The only loans that I have ever used are federally subsidized because banks pay colleges to push private loans. Upon graduation, I earned my MBA from a state university to eliminate costs. During my graduate studies I financed my math classes at the local community college because it was cheaper than the state university two blocks down the street (As you could see, I am economical!). Furthermore, after relocating to the DC metro area, I took precalculus, calculus I through III at state and community colleges. Paying for them myself instilled pride that I could take care of myself.

Though I am currently a master's of economics candidate enrolled at a private university, I have won two scholarships to reduce costs. Moreover, my employer pays for one class which further eliminating my financial burden. I would recommend any college student to look for employers offering tuition assistance. In addition, some federal agencies provided debt forgiveness of up to $60,000. If Emily works for the Smithsonian, her debt would have probably been forgiven. Her MA in Arts is not a waste and she can still make a decent living. Furthermore, please inquire at your college's career services about cooperative education programs which enable students to work in their majors while earning college credit. These programs are available regardless of major. Finally, these abundant amount of opportunities are not advertised because the banks and credit card companies would lose money.

No comments: