Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Opportunity Journal Entry #19: Reaping the Harvests of Mentoring

Until I researched material for my beautician’s son, the idea that sitting in a calculus III was somehow a great feat that most people did not accomplish. This week while reading the 2006-2008 catalog, I realized how close I was towards obtaining a BS in Mathematics. However, these epiphanies helped me unearth an abundance of available opportunities to recession-proof my current career. Attaining my math degree qualified me for the mathematician, statistician and mathematical statistician positions. Mathematicians required 24 math credits while statistician and mathematical statistician jobs required fifteen math credits and nine statistics. Presently, I had twenty credit hours but no statistics courses, that’s why the university’s credit by examination option presents the chance to earn them. For only tuition plus a $50 fee, I can test out of a class. Of course, I will schedule these exams upon achieving residency in July to save time and money. Testing out of all of my statistics classes would allow me to focus on differential equations, mathematical statistics I and II; thereby, allowing me to simultaneously graduate with both a BS in Mathematics and an MA in Economics.

Although this past Saturday I wrote in my journal that after taking one year off from American to improve my math skills, I should find a way to graduate because of all of the time invested in this endeavor. In addition, possessing a BS in Mathematics enables me to recession-proof my career (You have noticed that no one lay off the engineers?!). Furthermore, I can get almost any technological job that I want. Having always loved tinkering with electronics (I took PASCAL in high school), so math is natural. Having emailed the departmental chair, I will keep asking her until I receive a straight answer about the exams. If she decides no then file a grievance because the university says that I have a right to take it. Yet always have a backup plan. I am contacting the other university to see if it would schedule its statistics equivalency exam this summer so that I can test into the graduate statistics courses; thereby, enabling me to take higher-level stats classes which will resonate on my transcript. There are so many different avenues to venture and without mentoring my beautician’s son, I would had never known how wide open my future was!

No comments: