Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Opportunity Journal #17: Push, Persistence and Perseverance Pay Dividends

Yesterday my professor returned my take-home exam and on its front sheet had my score and overall course grade which astounded me because I did not think that I earned a B. This pleasantly surprised me and immediately I thought about taking calculus III and not fighting over finishing the lab assignment's last problem because there was enough cushion to sustain myself. Also I learned that I was the only student who completely solved all of the problems (because well, that was what was required of me so I did it!). During the beginning of the review session, another student talked about one who departed early. I told him that he resided far away and since it was an evening class, the trains and buses took longer. However, I secretly did not condone him leaving early because last year when I lived in Arlington, VA and had AU night classes (sometimes the class concluded at 10:40pm), I had to take two rail lines and bus to arrive home at midnight sometimes 1m and had to awake at 7am to take a bus then transfer to rail to get to work. Furthermore, (I know that I am a Type A but still) as an immigrant, he should had some grit in him because his family came to the US to seek better opportunity.

Oftentimes I am confounded by my drive to be the best that I can be. As soon as I received this job, I finished school transferred to AU, and continued my education even when I moved to Arlington. Now after improving my math skills at UDC, I am reapplying to AU to complete my MA in Economics degree. Sometimes, my type A personality puts me into overdrive but I still
manage to get at least six hours of sleep and reclaim my weekends. It's all about balance and striking that has enabled me to enhance both my personal and professional lives!

Today my boss informed me via email that the agency has approved my calculus III tuition request! Immediately I search for the training form on the Intranet but could not find it; so, I ask the secretary who then ask my boss to locate it. During this time, I find a paper version, complete and copy it then return it to the secretary to process. I want my form processed by Thursday (which with the antsy HR man that I have will happen!) because UDC's returning student registration deadline is December 21.

Calculus III is very important to me and upon learning that integration will not be mentioned, further motivates me to enroll. In addition, my first choice for doctoral school has told me that calculus III along with regression is its requirements; meaning, that this will be the first time since my undergraduate years at Hiram, that I have entered school with all of the required math courses. Furthermore, with my MBA I can finish the program within 4 1/2 years instead of the standard 5 years which makes me extremely happy! It is about push, persistence and perseverance!

No comments: