Friday, December 21, 2007

Conversations with my mother and other enlightened discussions

Last night I have told my mother that I have earned a 3.25 grade point average in my initial semester at UDC and she was very pleased. Then I divulged that maybe I was a nerd for carrying three different kinds of calculators to which she said that I was not and recommended that I purchase a leather organizer to store all of them. Afterward, Mom notified me that one of my maternal cousins was expecting in the summer (Hopefully, it would be August because we need more Leos :)). Upon learning that she worked at a restaurant, immediately I cringed remembering the woman at the Wendy’s drive-in who returned to work one month after giving birth. I did not want her to end up like that. My mother then says that another cousin was stressed over her supervisory job at MBNA to which I responded she was probably working with seasonal people who would not return after January. Finally, I confessed that I bought a pair of Jimmy Choo shoes in addition to the laptop as personal Christmas presents. Her reply “Get out!” When I explained to her that how I miscalculated how I would walk in these shoes because they were four-inch heels instead of the one and one-half inch heels of my gold shoes, mommy asserted that I would not be working in them merely attending parties. Furthermore, I should buy a shoe travel bag (She’s very big on bags this Christmas season!). All in all it was great speaking to her because I can tell her anything!

This conversation also crystallizes my 2008 goals because now my math grade goal will be a B+ and I will focus more on my music which are very important to me. In the beginning of 2007, with precalculus being the most advanced math class I’ve ever taken, I could never have imagined that I would earn a B in calculus I and calculus II! This is big for me. However, during our talk, she’s also mentioned the need for balance; and with two USDA distance learning classes outstanding which must be finished, I should heed this clarion call. Taking out more time for me is one of my 2008 resolutions!

No comments: