Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Life after CLEP

Yesterday I decided not to take the CLEP calculus exam and instead focusing on preparing for my transcript evaluation meeting. This proved to be a wise move because I received 35 credits towards my A.S. in Science/Mathematics degree. Earlier this morning, I faxed a copy of my data mining syllabus to audit a computer science course. This move would give me 3 credits plus an additional 3 from a lower-level computer science course; thereby, granting me a new total of 41 credits. Now my focus would be strictly math classes. No CLEP. No PLACE.

I was glad that I had the face-to-face meeting because of the counselor's ineptitude. She could not locate my degree conferred and major on the top of the transcript. Then upon informing her that I earned 24 credit hours in economics, she responded, "Are you an economics major? Well, Duh?" She was unbelievable!

At the conclusion of this meeting, I asked about receiving honors status. She gave me the contact person and walked to the office, completed an application and upon returning to campus for my math class later that evening submitted two official transcripts. I also emailed a cover letter and my resume detailing my accomplishments to the contact who approved me! :) However, now I would have to take an honors seminar which might interrupt my plan of enrolling in a Virginia public university next fall 2007. However, even though I would graduate next December 2007, I could still continue taking classes.

Upon exiting the Honors program division, I returned to the counseling center where I retrieved three out of the four articulation agreements. One, in particular, caught my eye though I was skeptical about enrolling at a Catholic university (I am Protestant as have all of my schooling) so I will see what materializes.

Honestly, I am contemplating whether or not I should apply for transfer status next year of wait until 2008 when I have exhausted all of my community college course options because I do not want to be charged a higher tuition rate.

No comments: