Friday, September 11, 2009

Financial Empowerment & Upward Mobility

I really want the $98 Stuart Weitzman Puddles rain boots but the shoe company only carries it to size large (sizes 9-10). Knowing that I need an extra-large to fit my size 12 feet, I begin searching the Internet, and viola Bloomingdales comes up in the first page results. Though I click on the link, I am cautious about it because the department store carries women’s shoe sizes until size 11. Therefore, when Bloomingdales offers Puddles in extra-large, I am astounded! Immediately I search the site for the Chevy Chase location, call the main number and get forwarded to the women’s shoe department where I ask the sales employee if it has the extra-large. He says the store does so I ask if he could hold them for me. Not only does he hold the boots, he asks me when can I pick them up? I tell him lunch time around 12pm-12:30pm. Obviously brimming with optimism and anticipation, I cannot wait that long and leave the office at 11:35 am en route to Farragut North and eventually Bloomingdales. I board the third car because it aligns itself with the Western Avenue elevator. Right upon exiting the train and the station, I decide to take the elevator to Wisconsin Avenue. Upon seeing that it is on the train’s level, I make a mad dash for it (Of course, I wait to see if anyone else wants to board.). Why climb two sets of escalators when the elevator takes you to the street? I hit the button transporting me to the street where I walk two blocks to Wisconsin Center where Bloomingdales is located.

Wisconsin Center’s construction is going along at a rapid pace. In addition, to Bloomingdales, BCBG, Cole Haan and Eileen Fisher are now tenants. Furthermore, Capital Grille is under construction; and, I hope that they finish before Christmastime so that I can eat there! Bypassing the other stores, I enter the department store, look at the directory and make my way towards the women’s shoe salon where I see a male sales employee going right by me. Thinking this is horrible customer service, I am fuming. Then I decide to talk to the female employee who is cleaning the displays. When I tell her that I have come to try shoes that are held for me, she proceeds to her register where my boots are. Oops! Right after putting my feet in them, the wool sole padding surprising me because it minimizes the amount of space. This addition magnifies the importance of purchasing the extra-large. While seated I remark to the female employee that they feel snug to which she recommends that I stand up. Upon doing so, the Puddles are looser. Immediately, I buy the $103.88 ($98 plus $5.88 in taxes) and wear them outside since it rained earlier. The lady places my Munro in the Stuart Weitzman boot. After purchasing a slice of vanilla bean cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory across the street, I return to Friendship Heights metro station where I board the red line back to downtown.

Looking around my room I see the five other purple Stuart Weitzman boxes. The Puddles purchase brings my total to six. My ability to have all of my bills paid and snap up a pair of haute couture exemplifies how far financially I have come in three years. In 2006 I was a financial mess with two checking accounts in ChexSystems, the delinquent checking account bureau and credit so bad that no one would rent to me after my apartment flooded. This forced me out of DC and into Arlington, VA. During the next three years, I have enrolled in CCCS paying off two creditors along with my $1200 Hiram College Perkins loan. In addition, I have received my GS-11 economist promotion which helps accelerate my debt; thereby, liberating more discretionary money to buy Stuart Weitzman. :)

No comments: