Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Notes from the Final Presidential Debate

Barack Obama soundly defeated John McCain during tonight's third and final presidential debate. McCain came off bitter and evasive, never really directly answering any question moderator Bob Schieffer posed to him. That was extremely irritating because I wanted McCain to give an honest answer about education, trade and balancing the budget. Moreover, Barack Obama reinforced the importance of education because if I possess a high quality education, nothing is unachievable. It motivated to push harder to obtain my MA in Economics degree. I agreed with Barack on everything except charter schools because are centrally located in poor communities fostering divide and conquer strategies instead of academic competition. Charter schools are located in inner-city communities not Cicero and Hyde Park. Finally, charter schools are another form of the poverty tax because those parents who have children in these institutions still pay income taxes to the school system that they are not using. I attend my school system and my household stayed above the poverty line because my parents did neither have to pay out of pocket for education nor have to pay gas prices to drive me there.

No comments: