Friday, October 03, 2008

A Day in the Life

I started my day bright and early 9am in my microeconomics teacher's office reviewing problem 4. This session helped me so much because I went about it the wrong the way. He helped me go from the profit function to setting quantity demand equal to quantity and solving the equation. During this time I admitted that expenditure minimization was my problem; and, starting my ALDP assignment was the reason behind missing September 22nd class. The stress of being founded out was released from my body because I did not feel dumb after all. All I had to do was reread the chapters to better understand the material.

Upon returning home, I began outlining chapter 10. Then I traveled to Morton's for my 12:45pm lunch. That was the plan until the fire alarm rang forcing an evacuation. After walking across the street as a precaution (the man who sold me a charity basketball ticket then mentioned that his Cleveland friend got shot was once again hawking them this year in the very same spot!). Returning across the street, I thought that Washington Square would let people back in but was wrong so I walked to the Palm praying that there was not a huge lunch line.

Thank goodness for a recession because there was hardly anyone there! I got a table for one immediately. Once seated the first things I thought were that it was neither raining nor snowing; I changed into something comfortable to be able to walk; and, I had the money to afford either steakhouse. The live House on the bailout glared across the bar's TV screen (It passed then both the House leaders and President Bush spoke. My own waiter was distracted by the vote. Hey to all of you fat cats: Eat Ramen noodles!). I ordered the chopped steak with a half order of three cheese potatoes and a regular Coke for $21.18 plus $5 tip for exemplary service!

Departing the restaurant I walked to the Farragut West 18th street entrance to hop the orange train to Ballston to withdraw Keep the Faith by Faith Evans from the Arlington Central Library. Even before Biggie Smalls, Faith had an interesting life especially how she was classmates with the three black men who made a pact to support each other and become doctors (The Pact a movie based on their lives was shown at the Cleveland Film Festival). This resonated with me when I saw my friend two weeks ago at the NBMBAA annual conference. I was happy that someone from the old neighborhood made it!

Although I did not let a measly fire alarm deter me, it along with two public transportation trips drained me of my energy. Yet I continued outlining chapter 10 which I will complete tomorrow along with solving problems 4 and 5. In addition, the microeconomics teaching assistant replied that Tuesday at 5:30pm was okay but to forward her the homework problems which I had problems. Saturday after solving my homework, I will make a list of any problems that I still have (expenditure minimization will and Lagrange multipliers will be on the list because I am hazy on these two.). It is important to make a concerted effort into solving my homework instead of allowing someone else to do the work for me.

Finally the woman from the company which the USDA Graduate School contracted for its GRE class forwarded me the name of another instructor who essential gave me the GR92-2 sections 2 and 4 letter answers; but, I wanted them worked-out because that was what the substitute math tutor promised. I communicated to him and provided a succinct example. They will give me my just desserts!

This entire day was filled with the predictable and unpredictable yet one thing remained constant: my ability to get it done regardless of circumstance.

No comments: