Thursday, July 03, 2008

Independence from Bitterness

Immediately after hearing a Mexican-American woman's story about how her guidance counselor tried to discourage her from taking French because she was Hispanic at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival's NASA Pioneers seminar, I realized that I was not the only one because my mother and guidance counselor railed against me for taking chemistry. Instead I had to take botany and anatomy and physiology. After eleventh, I decided to take physics yet earned a D because I had no chemistry background.

That pain and anger stayed with me until that moment when I realized that I
can overcome this by reading Chemistry for Dummies and taking a class at UDC. In addition Dummies publishes Chemistry, Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry for Dummies along with Physics and Anatomy and Physiology for Dummies. Of course being the Type A personality that I am, I have researched state and community colleges near Harvard, Yale and Columbia to earn my science degree (it can be either biology, chemistry, or physics). Since I will have 44 math credits, all I will have to do is take the science and capstone courses. My dissertation phase allows me to be outside of school, thereby, giving me the opportunity to take classes at resident tuition rates.

No comments: