Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mentoring from All Angles

The agency mentoring meeting is wonderful and upon learning that the organization will discuss publishing, am all the more amped to attend! Publishing a paper provides another opportunity to write and research my master’s thesis. Instead of depending upon other AU professors, bring a couple of my own people. Hey, professionals are professionals! Once the lady has gotten over my initial ambiguity (I did not know if the agency’s mentoring would collide with the department's, but since it did not I came!), I enjoy it. During the session, I mention that within one year I will be a GS-12 economist. My mentor, says that there are certain things, such as budget and vacancies, which are beyond your control. Well, I beg to differ because I am in ALDP; therefore, operating two levels above everyone else. Therefore, within one year, I will not just receive my GS-12 economist but also my MA in economics degree! Remember you don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate!

No comments: