Friday, April 25, 2008

Opportunity Journal #21: The Value of Foresight and Hindsight

My boss' boss asked me of my whereabouts to which I responded that I was attending a conference. Then he relayed the division’s budget cuts. Sitting there I was glad that I applied for scholarships to offset my AU tuition.

My agency recommender has given me a very exemplary recommendation letter. Furthermore, she has told me a story about a former employee who when applying to Columbia the first time received a marginal recommendation letter thus costing her admission. However, since she knew the program’s admission director and learned that was the reason behind her denial, she secured a stellar recommendation the second time, got accepted and graduated (She currently works at an investment back. She says that the woman exclaims that the Columbia program is very hard but she has gotten through it.). Unbeknownst to Ann, her story motivates me to soar higher because I, too, want to attend Columbia, though because I will graduate in four years because I possess the requisite advanced math courses.

No comments: