Monday, May 24, 2021

SAFE 5.0 - Day 1

                 I am chronicling my SAFE (scaled framework) training here because I chronicled my Certified Scrum Master (CSM) training adventure here. In 2016, it was in person. In 2021 due to coronavirus pandemic, I am online. This does not mean that there aren’t any less plot twists.



Scaled agile framework (SAFE 5.0) is a type of agile project management. I am learning this because during an interview the interviewer mentioned lean and merging the scrum master with the product owner. I thought that was weird even though I knew some lean principles due to my statistics background. I later researched lean + scrum finding scaled agile.

                I started looking on Eventbrite (this site saved my bacon with finding an affordable certified scrum master exam prep course. You can check out the March2016 series here.). I found a course that’s 50% off and purchased it. I could save money and advance my career. I was game!

                I completed the pre-course content going through all of the courses. I also watched a lot of YouTube videos because scaled agile calling it iteration instead of sprints and saying that the agile team is scrum master and product owner vs. the scrum team which is scrum master and the developers threw me for a loop. I also managed to find some practice exams on Udemy and online because I wanted to know what the questions looked like before the exam.


 

Day 1

                I was back to my older computer because my newer one Internet (Chrome, Edge and Firefox) sporadically went out. Also I had to do was connect my Logictech webcam and BOOM I was back in business. Now this laptop wanted to act up 5 minutes before the start of class (I was not surprised!) so I ended up 10 minutes late.

                We spent the first hour introducing ourselves and doing some games. Then at the end of the second hour out of nowhere the instructor invited us to his scaled agile virtual meetup. I was like ‘plot twist!’. Though my doing the pre-course content saved me, I would admit that had I not taken the initiative to read the material beforehand, I would had been lost, frustrated and failed the exam at this stage (but I am passing my scrum master exam). At least he lets us leave early today. 

No comments: