Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Nano Epiphany and Other Things

                I know that I have been busy with Nanowrimo (National Novel Writing Month) so I haven’t been writing on Blogger much. Today I have to take a mental break (I am currently at 17,676 words and 20,000 is my next goal). I am ahead 3 days so I deserve the rest. Also I have had a great epiphany. While perusing the #Nanowrimo hashtag yesterday, I came across some woman who wasn’t participating in this year’s competition because it coincided with her doctoral thesis. We tweeted each other and I learned that writing a 50,000-word novel was similar to writing a doctoral dissertation. The lightbulb went off immediately.

                I admit that I have been toying around with returning to school for my doctoral degree but I am conflicted about which major I should pursue.  I know that economics is the most math intensive out of statistics and business administration, but it is very hard. Personally, I don’t want to be seen as a math slacker. I am leaning towards taking statistics because it is out of 100 and I can still hold tight to my NASA Astronaut dreams. To become a NASA Astronaut, I need to have a STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) degree. Statistics will qualify me for this. Furthermore, becoming an astronaut satisfies my inner Trekker. My mother has hooked me on the original Star Trek with William Shatner while growing up in Cleveland. I always want to be in something science-related. Therefore, earning a statistics degree puts me front and center. Although I have some incomplete education elsewhere, I still believe that with adequate preparation and discipline that I can accomplish my stats goal (It would be great to write about my statistical analysis too!).

No comments: