Thursday, August 04, 2011

Overcoming my Fear of Failing the CAPM Exam

Ever since mid-July, I have been operating in fear mode. PMI will change the PMP test starting September 1st. Today is August 4th and in five days I’ve decided to sit for my CAPM exam. Yesterday I scored 117/162 on a practice exam falling four points shy of the required 121 to pass. The Oliver Lehmann CAPM practice test has a higher passage rate (74.6%) than the CAPM exam (61%). This higher rate motivates me to retain more knowledge. Today I’ve returned to the PMBOK writing down every project management plan subsidiary plan’s definition, input and output to conquer my fear. Last night I saw a pattern. If I mastered the management plans related to the core project management plan, I would know whether or not the question discusses an input or output. Knowing that would had given me more than four correct answers to surpassing the 121 threshold. My original fear bore out of never overcoming the GRE 700 quantitative threshold because something quirky always happened. Till this day 660 was the highest that I ever scored. It was like an albatross around my neck weighing me down. Subconsciously, the GRE feeling permeated my brain when it came to project management. However, I released that fear of failure by writing down what I didn’t know. I do feel that not only will I pass the CAPM next Tuesday, but PMI will approve my application and I will pass the PMI before August 31st.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Carala,
Thank you so much for sharing your CAPM learnning and Experience.It will be helpfull for CAPM aspirants

Carla said...

You are very welcome Ray. I transformed that pain into becoming better. Two weeks after failing, I passed the test August 23rd. That day in 2011, the earthquake hit DC shaking the Prometric testing center. I finished the test undaunted. I earned my PMP certification June 2013. You can do it!