Friday, December 18, 2009

Becoming a Statistician

I check UDC Web4students grade site and learn that I have received an A in business statistics! This is huge because I keep my statistics streak alive and well. I need to blog about this because I am so happy to qualify for the statistician classification. It is essential to be the best at anything. Now I can enter 2010 qualifying for two mission-critical occupations instead of simply one; and, upon receiving my linear algebra grade I will become eligible for the mathematician occupation.
This journey started September 2008. I was on detail at another federal agency and during my 45 days, realized the similarities between economist and statistician. While visiting the Office of Personnel Management's classification site, I read that to become a statistician I would need 15 math credits, 6 of which must be in statistics. Though I possess the mathematics credits, at the time I had no statistics classes. Since my graduate studies return did not pan out as I had planned, I returned to UDC to retake calculus III spring semester, elementary statistics I summer semester, and business statistics fall semester. Enrolling in these three classes along with linear algebra helped qualify me for both the government's statistician and mathematician positions.
The government lists these two occupations as mission-critical because retirements would create a dire need for replacements. Currently I am an economist, also a mission-critical occupation, however, I want to expand my career options especially since I want to join the Senior Executive Service (SES). SES takes only mission-critical people and having three different ways to qualify ensure that I will become an executive one day.

No comments: