Thursday, January 07, 2016

Closing the Door



                I have always been great at closing the door on things, persons and processes that no longer serve me. Today I have decided that I am closing the door on working in the federal government. I have had an 8-year career there but after receiving 2 $80/hour jobs from recruiters. This is $160,000 per year. One of the 2 will offer me $90/hour or $180,000. That’s more than GS-15 step 10 income which is $155,000; and, the process takes 15 years to go from step 1 to step 10. Right now I stand to earn more than 15 years. Knowing myself I will be way farther along than $180,000 by year 2031.
                This isn’t the first time that I have closed the door on something. I have done this with two federal agencies, Constellation and now the federal sector. I am happy to leave and never return to my first federal agency because this year this agency is moving from DC to Maryland. I have a choice in this matter. There are so many miserable people relocating but I am still here in DC.
Closing the door is liberating because I can focus on the future. The past is not competing with my future. I can devote time towards creating a new system that serves me now instead of being torn. Indecisiveness kills many people’s dreams; but, not mine. Yes, I admit that the federal sector has been good and has taught me a lot; but, I am very happy that I can move on towards something good. If I stay applying for federal jobs than I am limiting my income and personal growth; therefore, I am closing the door.

No comments: