Monday, October 30, 2006

Becoming a Mentor

Last week my mother sent me an email regarding her colleague's cousin seeking career advice. The woman,a sophomore, attended an HBCU and majored in International Business. Having obtained an International Economics, Mom deemed me qualified to give her advice (either that or she just liked to brag that her daughter worked in DC!). Immediately I visited the school's website and located student club resources and referred her to the nearest Urban League and Black MBA Association. After relaying her this information, I conducted my own search and to my surprise, located a Northern Virginia Young Professional chapter with a cheaper membership than the DC chapter!

Being propelled into this role felt easy because as I enter my fourth decade on this Earth, my horizons are expanding. During my thirties I want to fully fund my book scholarship to aid low-income students with college costs especially since financial need aid is disappearing. Therefore, becoming a mentor seems like a natural progression in this direction.

No comments: