Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Finding my PLACE

Finding my PLACE (Prior Learning Activity for Credit Evaluation). The PLACE program allows me to earn up to 15 credits towards an Associate Degree. Since I will take so many math courses, my goal is to create portfolios for Introduction to Computing (after three SAS courses, I know how to use and program a computer!), and Introduction to Speech Communication (After and publicly speaking at Toastmasters, this will be a shoo-in!). I will take the student development this spring semester to learn how to compile a portfolio (which will help me with my master’s thesis and year-end appraisal) then submit them during fall 2007 after achieving residency to reduce costs. Employing this strategy saves me a boatload of money!

The A.S. in Science/Mathematics advising sheet has a history elective course which I will take the CLEP American Government test, ace it then audit the class; transfer my CSU micro and macro classes for the social science electives; and enroll at UDC to take linear algebra/differential equations to audit NOVA’s differential equations and linear algebra courses. Since I will receive residency until August 1, 2007, that’s a cost savings of nearly $1235, the cost of one course!

No comments: