Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Circle of Influence

Yesterday Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) reported that black youths age 15-25 are the most politically active in the United States. This made me euphoric because I knew that we had passion! However, it also claimed that their 2002 counterparts (I was 25 in 2002) were more politically active which was true. The report harkened back to Reverend Al Sharpton’s October 11, 2006 radio commentary about youth and relevance. He preached that you could be young and irrelevant to your own generation. How true! Even though I possess two degrees with one on the way, a job in my field, and ten years’ voting experience (I will celebrate this milestone in November at Morton’s), I tussle with remaining relevant as I enter my thirties. See, securing my MA in Economics degree or the CPA licensure exclaim relevance. I believe that social activism equates relevancy as since I strongly value education, endowing a scholarship to help blacks obtain a degree makes me relevant. This is one of my goals that I will accomplish by age thirty-five.

No comments: