Thursday, October 12, 2006

Evaluating Myself

Talking to the career coach about my short-term and long-term goals has helped me a lot. Actually her objectivity confirmed what I have been feeling about obtaining my CPA, that it should be used to improve social condition such as assisting low-income people with filing their taxes through a financial literacy organization like America Saves. Right now, my focus is on MA in Economics and math. At age 29, I knew what I wanted to accomplish but never considered that I possessed an unusually high level of maturity. Sheesh! This was how I always thought so why question it?

She also gave me a copy of the Individualized Development Plan which outlined my short-term and long-term goals. Becoming a SES Economist was one of my long-term goals and even though achieving gs-14 level would take five years, I was up for the challenge. Maybe I chewed too much. Well, only Heaven knew, really! She commented on getting copy of the ZP-III Economist announcement to see what I needed to accomplish in order to secure this position. Great idea because I know that I can pair it with the IDP short-term goal and match my performance with what was required.

Furthermore, she talked about joining an organization to which I responded that I am a SGE member and its biennial conference occurs this month. The light bulb illuminated immediately because although the agency would not pay for SGE, it might pay for ASSA especially after being inducted into ODE! I will pay for SGE, attend and network.

No comments: