Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Turnaround Tuesday

Earlier this morning, our electricity went out (luckily, it was warm, and, thus didn’t need the heat.); however, this was a precursor of what was to come. This incident interrupted my sleep disallowing me to catch any REM thereby making me late for my volunteer assignment. Upon arriving fifteen minutes late, I discussed the Holiday Spirit article highlighting our organization’s alcohol recovery programs. Then I later discovered that I had received an Internet account complete with Raiser’s Edge password and systems access. Also, I have my own computer and desk. Great! Finally, I am a member of the team. No more sharing computers. Then immediately a scare overcame me. Having been let go for breaking “Internet policy” I thought that this could be my Achilles heel. No matter I signed the contract and continued doing my work. Throughout the three-hour period, thoughts raced through my mind: “ What if I checked my email? “ Yet, I regained my focus and devoted my time and effort towards reviewing the files. At the end of my volunteering stint, I spoke with my supervisor to iron out any future details. She asked about my job hunt and I replied that I was interested in research while secretly thinking that I would like to have the Database Analyst job here if only I learned some more software. She said that she would keep a look out for me!

Upon exiting the building, I called my current employer regarding why he didn’t mail my paycheck. He remarked that he would do it right now; and, when I inquired about the other two jobs, he said that he didn’t need me for those tow and that he would call; thereby, ending my current working relationship with him which is okay because of how deviant and aloof he was regarding steady compensation. Yes, I know that I will be broke this upcoming December; however, I do feel that I will be accepted into Cleveland State University thereby qualifying me for all kinds of student employment, cooperative education and internships! Afterward, I called some more temporary agencies and asked that since this was late November/early December should I call next year? Most replied “yes”; therefore, letting me wash my hands of them; however one did not and said that she would call me back later (It is 2:40pm and that has yet to materialize!) These exchanges took me back to the conversation I had with my father yesterday about how employers don’t hire after Thanksgiving. For the last six years I don’t why I am a always in a rut at the end of the year; however, 2006 will be decidedly different because I will know what is in front of me!

No comments: