Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Rebounding in a Good Way

All right today had gotten much better after this morning’s debacle! I attended the FOCUS Day event only to discover that was geared to undergraduates. The girl at the table informed me that the Economics department was located in Rhodes Tower on the seventeenth floor. Immediately I took the elevator to my destination only to realize that I stepped into a maze. Arrows pointing in both directions adorned the signs and after circling the floor twice, I asked the graduate assistant who told me about the university’s Economic programs. He mentioned that the GRE wasn’t necessary (really, that’s great!) and that all I would need to become a degree-seeking student were an application, transcripts and two recommendation letters. That announcement brightened my day because now I could qualify for financial aid! The assistant also helped me secure an interview with the departmental chair.

Departing the university I ate lunch at the House of Blues. During lunch, I wrote the pros and cons of applying for degree status. Actually there weren’t any cons. Then I traveled to the county’s auditor’s office to copy the tax maps. My employer once again forgot why I needed to copy two maps (he gave me two parcel numbers) but overall the task was a cinch.

Obtaining financial aid would help me realize my goal of being debt-free and would complement my scholarship undertaking. I will continue searching for awards, grants, scholarships and fellowships to defray tuition costs. However, I am happy that the low barrier of entry would assist me in realizing my dreams. Now I just have to go to the financial aid office regarding my aid package.

No comments: