Wednesday, October 12, 2005

My Life as a Real Estate Valuation Report Writer

I applied for this position and landed a contract position with a real estate valuation firm. The work is pretty interesting.

This was the first time sitting at a Kinko’s earning decent money to copy survey documents and value real estate properties. Of course, it was legal but still surreal because there was no structure. We just met in the videoconference room and went to work. No fingerprints, work authorization. No of that; however, during the process, I learned a lot about the real estate valuation process. Initially the aerial views, blueprints and portfolios overwhelmed me but after a couple hours and reminding myself that this isn’t every day when I can set my hours and receive decent pay, that I calmed down and regained focus. Afterward, my employer dropped me off at the Chagrin-Green intersection, where I caught the 94 then boarded the Green Line rapid for downtown to begin my research.

Unearthing all of this information has opened my eyes to the abundance of resources Greater Cleveland can offer. From real estate business association to partnerships to neighborhood corporations to city governments to chambers of commerce, it is all there. This job provided a much needed education about Cleveland’s happenings. All of this acquired knowledge will be beneficial towards my relocation plans.

Yesterday I met with my employer at the East Side Kinko’s to begin working as the Entry-Level Research Writer. A sole proprietor he was intelligent and aloof all the same. The meeting was surreal for me because this was the first time doing contract work. Prior I filled out forms, provided work authorization, etc. But this was different. However, I liked it because the pay was decent and I could set my own hours. J

Today I made phone calls, typed the SWOT analysis for the area, obtained additional development information pertinent to the appraisal, and visited the property to take pictures (which are currently being developed at the local pharmacy) and write down all of the parking lot rates within a two-block radius of the building. After picking up my pictures, I will review all of my information and begin revising my SWOT analysis.

1 comment:

Carla said...

Thank you very much! Carla