Thursday, December 01, 2005

Remembering Rosa Parks

Today, Thursday, December 1, 2005, marks the fiftieth anniversary commemorating Rosa Parks’ simple defiance of refusing to give her bus seat to a white man on a Montgomery, Alabama bus. I knew this but was still fumbling through my email to locate the event information to be there on time. Even though I do not have any work today, I wouldn’t stroll down there in jeans; therefore, I dressed appropriately in professional dress and stockings and made my way to the program.

Having just returned from the Cleveland, Ohio ceremony held at the City Hall Rotunda. Both the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority, the county public transportation company, and the Ohio Civil Rights Commission were in attendance as well as a series of speakers; however, the most important person was the keynote speaker, Gina Abercrombie-Winstanley, Chairwoman of the Foreign Service Institute’s Middle East Area Studies. Hailing from Cleveland Heights, Ohio, she served as a mother of two children and a Foreign Service Officer and her speech helped me realize that I too could ascend the ranks of power. After the ceremony, I discussed my career aspirations of seeking a foreign service position in Washington, D.C. She gave me her business card and told me to register for the foreign service exam. When I informed her that I took the exam but didn’t pass, she confided that she didn’t pass the first time and to not become discouraged. Also, email her about any additional opportunities. Of course, I will email her today to ensure that I realize all potential opportunities, but, more importantly find a mentor. It was amazing that we both come from the same place and have the same interests and with some nurturing and supervision will be able to achieve these goals of becoming a Foreign Service Officer!

No comments: