Saturday, December 31, 2005

My Blog’s First Anniversary: Wisdom

Wisdom:

The ability to discern or judge what is true, right, or lasting; insight.
Common sense; good judgment: “It is a characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things” (Henry David Thoreau).

The sum of learning through the ages; knowledge: “In those homely sayings was couched the collective wisdom of generations” (Maya Angelou).
Wise teachings of the ancient sages.
A wise outlook, plan, or course of action.


Today is my blog’s first anniversary. Throughout this year I have shared many highs and lows, aired my triumphs and dirty laundry (which I admit was at times sordid). During these past 365 days I have emerged wiser, and this wisdom bestowed upon my from this year’s experiences has taught me one thing: THAT THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES! None!

I have learned not to chase the fast bucks but to slowly build momentum that will allow me to realize my goals. This week I happily announced that I secured a full-time permanent government position; and, although it pays little, it will provide me with the requisite stability to payoff debt, finance my graduate education, build a retirement nest egg, save for homeownership and just plain have fun! Already I have decided to keep this position until May 2007 when I graduate with my Masters in Economics. This job combined with the student loan refund check will enable me to build, sustain and expand my professional network by joining and paying dues to economic organizations, present papers at conferences, use vacation pay to attend the 2006 Urban League Convention and have a real entertainment budget!

This realization has provided me with the wisdom and has empowered me to the extent that I anticipate typing my second anniversary journal entry on December 31, 2006. On that day I would be on the cusp of completing my Masters and closer towards achieving my career objective of becoming an Economist.

Though I have had some missteps, I will be the first to admit that I would NOT CHANGE anything!

No comments: