Friday, December 30, 2005

I Need a Little Patience

At the new hire meeting today the human resources representative mentioned that our application must be reviewed then certified; and, upon the board’s approval my start date will be in late January 2006.

I guess that flustered me a little because yesterday I called the financial aid office to hold my loan refund check but the employee informed me that all checks were to be mailed to my permanent address. Well, I would be moving onto campus the same day and I really do need that check to purchase my books and supplies.

However, an idea popped into my mind while calling my last three employers to obtain the fax numbers for recommendations. Two of them are temporary agencies so I will call all temporary agencies and submit my new resume to them to be considered for employment from early January until my start date! Ingenious!

Immediately after the meeting, I called the graduate economics department regarding my registration. The secretary questioned why I needed to take such an advanced math class to which I responded that the professor said that I didn’t qualify for econometrics because quantitative analysis only satisfied the minimum requirements but was not a substitute for ECN 622. The conversation then turned to my taking precalculus and calculus. The secretary then responded that I should contact the mathematics office.

Afterward, I called the undergraduate office regarding taking the placement exams as a graduate student. That secretary mentioned that maybe not but I might have to enroll as a non-degree graduate student. Therefore, I should contact the graduate math department regarding this matter. She provided his email and I sent him an inquiry to ensure that this matter will be resolved prior to January 4, 2006, the date my students loans are disbursed.

All of this running-around-with-my-head-cut-off-like-a-chicken is getting to me especially during the holidays. However, I always remember that all I can control is my performance; and, with that I will focus on preparing for the comprehensive microeconomic and macroeconomic exams, type my scholarship applications and leave the rest on the altar!

No comments: